Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Dewey Decimal System: Not good enough for Minneapolis

In grade school I was taught that the Dewey Decimal System was a cornerstone of life in America. Without it, there would be no order to the vast sea of information available to me at my public library.

Today I realized why I have spent hours wandering through the non-fiction section at the Minneapolis Library, never finding what I was looking for: Everything is organized by the Library of Congress Classification. Instead of books on knitting falling in the predictable 740s they fall under some bizarre code called TT.

However, I am stuck in Minnesota now, because I just ordered personalized Minnesota license plates with the letters ECLAIRE. I will just have to learn this foreign language at the library.

No comments: